Training and Support
CoaguChek® XS - Training for your patients:
Depending on your location, there are different training options available to you and your patients.
- Training Centers – In some areas, training centers have been set up to give face to face training to your patients. Contact your local Roche organization to find out more.
- CoaguChek Academy – Many countries offer an online eLearning option called Coaguchek Academy.
- Most countries offer excellent phone support for your patients, these patient and supportive staff are trained to walk your patients through setting up their meter and performing their first test.
- CoaguChek XS handling video - A handling video is available to walk them through setting up and testing with the CoaguChek XS in the Patient side of www.coaguchek.com
Speak with your local support organization
It may be that local training centers have been organized in your area for your patients’ face to face training.
- CoaguChek® XS Plus and Pro
Training for the CoaguChek XS Plus and Pro will be handled by your local Roche team once the devices are on site due to the extensive data management and configuration capabilities these instruments offer.
Below you can watch an introduction to the handling of the CoaguChek Plus and CoaguChek Pro.
- CoaguChek® XS system
CoaguChek® XS system handling videos
- CoaguChek Pro II
- What is the recommended test frequency?
At least twice per month, preferably once per week. This has proven to increase TTR by enabling faster reactions to variations in INR due to exercise and diet. It also increases patient compliance and engagement.(1,2,3)
- What is time in therapeutic range (TTR)?
The percentage of time that your patient’s INR values fell within the upper and lower target value set by you.
- Do the CoaguChek systems need calibration?
No, calibration is performed automatically upon inserting the code key from the strip vial.
- What steps can I take when the readings are different to the hospital lab?
Due to diverse measurement standards used by labs, small variations should be expected. If the variation is of therapeutic significance, please contact your local Roche support organization.
- Why are strips not single sealed as with CoaguChek S?
Single sealing of strips is done to prevent the chemistry from moisture and light, and to maintain a shelf life as long as possible. However, it is less convenient for the customer and more expensive for the manufacturer. Each test strip vial consists of a stopper with desiccant which prevents the test strips from moisture and light.
- Are there interferences when testing with CoaguChek systems?
Polyglobulism: Hematocrit outside the standard range (25-55%)
Lupus anticoagulant: INR abnormally high
The presence of anti-phospholipid antibodies (APAs) such as Lupus antibodies (LA) can potentially lead to prolonged clotting times, i.e. elevated INR values. A comparison to an APA-insensitive laboratory method is recommended if the presence of APAs is known or suspected.
- Does the user have to run the test immediately after taking the strip out of the vial?
The open vial stability is 10 minutes maximum. Having the strip too long out of the vial, especially in situations with high humidity or temperature, would be detected by the onboard integrity system resulting in an error message. No INR would be displayed if the strips are found to be defective by the integrated quality control of the CoaguChek XS system.
- What happens if the user does not change the ROM key?
CoaguChek XS, XS Pro, Pro II
If the incorrect code key is in the machine, the PT/INR value may be incorrect. Depending on the lot variation, the error can be significant causing the wrong therapeutic decision to be taken with an adverse health effect.
CoaguChek XS Plus
If the incorrect code key is in the machine and you insert a test strip, a display message indicates that you need to insert the corresponding code key, otherwise a measurement will not be possible
- In what way does the CoaguChek XS meter differ from the CoaguChek S system?
CoaguChek XS, XS Pro, Pro II
Major differences are:
- amperometric (electrochemical) detection method instead of dancing particle,
- size and weight,
- auto-power on,
- sample application point outside the meter,
- Infra-Red interface
- and the existence of professional models: the CoaguChek XS Plus and Pro
- In what way does the CoaguChek XS PT test differ from the CoaguChek S PT test?
Beside the mentioned technology the differences are:
- top and side dosing capability,
- strip storage at room temperature,
- extended % Quick measuring range,
- the low ISI value of 1.0,
- heparin insensitivity at therapeutic levels
- and the onboard single-channel control system (OS2C) = integrity check on each strip in the same channel where blood passes, which makes it unnecessary to run liquid controls.
- How does the On-board Single channel Strip control (OS2C) work?
In the measuring channel a chemical called resazurin is incorporated. Resazurin is sensitive to ambient factors like light, humidity and temperature leading to a reaction process where Resazurin is converted into Resorufin. The concentration of Resorufin is measured electrochemically, and the result is a direct measure of strip alteration.
- How does the underdosing detection work?
The fill of the capillary is detected by a current flow between two electrodes on the test strip. If the capillary is not completely filled an error message (error number 5) will appear on the display.
- Is re-dosing possible if the first attempt to get enough blood was unsuccessful?
Never add more blood to the test strip after the test has begun or perform another test with blood from the same puncture site. Yes, re-dosing is possible within 15 seconds. However, in principle re-dosing is very critical due to the immediate start of the coagulation process. Therefore this should be avoided if possible.
CoaguChek XS Plus, XS Pro, Pro II
Yes, re-dosing is possible within 15 seconds. However, in principle re-dosing is very critical due to the immediate start of the coagulation process. Therefore this should be avoided if possible.
- What happens if the customer applies blood before the test strip symbol and flashing drop of blood appears on the screen?
An error message (error number 4) will appear on the screen.
CoaguChek XS Plus, XS Pro, Pro II
An error message will appear on the screen.
- Can the user erase stored results?
The user can erase the entire memory. One cannot however, erase individual results.
- Why can’t I perform a liquid quality control?
The meter has a built in internal quality control so liquid controls are not needed.
- Is the CoaguChek XS suitable for use in a professional setting?
In principle, yes. However, the CoaguChek XS Plus or Pro systems are much more suitable solutions in a professional setting due to the data management capabilities created for professionals:
- positive strip lot identification
- the ability to input patient and operator id to facilitate record keeping
- touch screen
- and a search function for patient data in the memory
The CoaguChek XS Plus or Pro systems are the ideal choice for you when accuracy and ease of use need to be combined with data management.
1. Guyatt et al (2012). Chest 141:7S-47S
2. Heneghan et al (2012). Lancet 379:292-293
3. Heneghan C, Alonso-Coello P, Garcia-Alamino JM, Perera R, Meats E, Glasziou P. Self-monitoring of oral anticoagulation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2006; 367:404-411